Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 1.5 hours
- 2-3 lbs of LiberTerre pork back ribs (cut into individual ribs)
- 1 bulb of garlic (cut in half)
- 2 sprigs of green onion
- 3 slices of ginger
- ¼ cup of Shaoxing Wine
- 6-8 dried chilies
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tsp salt
- 5 cups of water (or enough to cover ribs)
- 1 tbsp hoisin sauce
- 1 tbsp oyster sauce
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar
- 2 cloves of garlic (minced)
- 2 tsp Sriracha sauce
- ¼ cup of honey
- 1 pinch of Chinese 5 spice powder
- 1 tsp black pepper
- Place all ‘pot ingredients’ in a large soup pot. Ensure ribs are fully
submerged. Bring pot to a boil and simmer on low for 1 hr and 15 minutes.
- TIP: The leftover liquid makes a great soup. Skim off any scum that surfaces in the first 10-15 minutes of cooking to ensure a clean broth.
- While ribs are cooking, whisk together all sauce ingredients and let
sit. (Doing this earlier allows time for garlic to infuse its flavour)
- Once ribs are finished cooking, take out and pat dry. Place in a large
bowl and add sauce. Toss until ribs are coated.
- BBQ Option: Grill ribs on BBQ on high heat for 2-3 minutes per
side, basting with leftover sauce after each turn. Continue until ribs
become sticky and deepened in colour.
- Oven Option: Turn broiler on high heat. Place ribs on a tray
lined with aluminum foil and place in oven on 2nd highest rack.
Broil for 2-3 minutes per side, basting with leftover sauce after each
turn. Continue until the ribs become sticky and deepened in colour.
- Garnish with chopped chilies, green onions, and/or sesame seeds.